Monday, February 28, 2011

Words To Live By

The other night I climbed into bed, plopped my laptop on my lap and started to search out for a good movie to watch.  Although I wasn’t really in the mood for a love story, I settled on watching Eat, Pray, Love.  The movie itself was so so, but I what got me more was some of the quotes that I heard.  It just so happened that the next day The Wedding Date was on and I had an epiphany about what this week’s blog should be about.
Even though movies are meant to entertain they can also serve another purpose to enlighten.  Even in some of the funniest comedies I have seen, writers manage to squeeze in a life lesson or inspirational words to live by.  I have gathered a few below.
1.       “Every woman has the exact love life that she wants” – The Wedding Date
I am inclined to agree!  My friends ask me all the time why I am single.  They tell me that I am only single because I choose to be.  They are partly correct.  There are a number of guys that I have met that I could date and enter into a relationship with.  However, none of them swept me off my feet.  I don’t want to be in a relationship just to be in a relationship.  I am getting too old to just kill time with someone that isn’t right for me.  Although I always say that I hate being single, maybe deep down I don’t, and when I meet that right person I will be ready to give up the single life for them. 
2.       “ It doesn't matter if the guy is perfect or the girl is perfect, as long as they are perfect for each other” – Good Will Hunting
I am far from perfect.  I recognize my flaws, work to keep them to a minimum, but accept that they are a part of me.  I have dated a lot of guys in the past that had many a flaw.  For the most part, I accepted them but other times those flaws clashed too much with mine and me that it didn’t work.  I think that when you find someone that you are willing to accept their shit and they are willing to accept yours that makes you perfect for each other.   Maybe it’s like garlic…the two cancel each other out.
3.       “Some things are not meant to last, they just take a place in your heart and make you smarter the next time” – Alex and Emma
This has to be one of the truest statements regarding relationships and love that I have ever heard.  People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.  Not everything is meant to last.  We all hope that each time we meet someone it will be forever.  Why is that?  As a whole, we need to accept the possibility that it won’t.  Someone may come into your life just to teach you a lesson; remind you what it means to love or live; help you to understand humility; no matter what the reason, you need to take what you have learned and keep moving forward. 
4.       “Don’t let the past dictate who you are, but let it be part of who you will become” – My Big Fat Greek Wedding
When past relationships have ended, it took me a while to realize what part I played in their demise.  My mother often says that I fall into the common denominator category.  However, I disagree.  I acknowledge my faults and mistakes but I also learn from them knowing that I will eventually find the one that will accept them as well.  What I have learned is my past failed relationship won’t dictate my future ones.  Each one is unique; the future isn’t a repeat of the past.
5.       “Sometimes losing balance for love is leading a balanced life” – Eat, Pray, Love
From an early age we are taught that we need to be educated, pursue a good career path, start a family, settle down, maintain a home, save for retirement, eat healthy, be responsible…the list goes on and on.  When we actually venture into the world, all of the above can seem like an insurmountable task.  Some people focus on the practical and forget about the emotional.  They choose a career and money over love and relationships.  I can see how they feel that they will interfere or instill a sense of unbalance.  However, this is just the opposite.  You can have a good career making lots of money, have a great house and a nice car…but without love something will always be missing.  Don’t be afraid to lose your balance a little bit when it comes to love.  That missing piece may give your life the exact balance it needs.
6.       “Hearts will be practical only when they are made unbreakable” – The Wizard of Oz
You can’t reason with your heart.  It feels what it wants, when it want.  It isn’t practical.  You can’t reason with it.  The heart wants what the heart wants.  It will be broken, sometimes over and over again.  Unfortunately we have to learn to deal with it and move forward.  Until it adapts with evolution, it is never going to be unbreakable.  It’s a fact of life that needs to be accepted.
7.       “Hate is baggage.  Life’s too short to be pissed off all the time; it’s just not worth it” – American History X
When it comes to the business of ex’s, the word hate is often thrown around frivolously.  I for one have said it repeatedly when it comes to my ex husband.  He is the bane of my existence the every present thorn in my side.  But what does hating him accomplish?  Nothing!  Hate is baggage.  Hate is unnecessary stress.  Life is too short.  Don’t bury the hate you may feel, set it free and accept the situation or the person.  Then and only then will you lose the baggage.
8.       “Love is a strong word.  And if you are going to use it, make sure that you know what it means.  Cause it hurts to hear and know that you don’t mean it” – Alone and Restless
In the teenage years, it was all too common to hear the words “I love you”.  At that age, you really don’t even know what the word “love” means but you said it because you thought it was appropriate.  The older you get the more you learn about love.  The more you should learn that you can’t just throw it around or take it lightly.  Love can be wonderful.  Hearing from that special person that they love you can be magical.  However, if it is said and isn’t meant, it can be tragic and devastating.  Lust does not equal love.  Like does not equal love.  Attraction does not equal love.  All of the combined might, but think before you speak.  Truly mean it when you say it.
9.       “Fate exists but it can only take you so far, because once you are there, it’s up to you to make it happen” – Can’t Hardly Wait
Many a philosopher has argued the existence of fate.  Is it predetermined?  Inevitable?  Can we change it or is it set in stone?  My belief is that fate comes in the form of poker dealer.  The cards are dealt to you, as a player you have the choice to bet, fold or ask for additional cards.  Your choice dictates whether you can make a full house or just end with a pair.  You do what you can to make it the best possible hand you can get.  Take what fate gives you and run with it.  Make the choices that you feel you need, to make life turn out the way you want it to.  It’s yours remember, not anyone else’s.

10.   “You will never know love unless you surrender to it” – Fools Rush In
How many of us have said at one point, “I really like him/her, but I am scared to jump into anything”.  If you don’t take the chance then you may never know what could be.  Yes, the idea of love can be a scary one, but if you don’t surrender you could just be giving up something amazing.
11.   “A heart can be broken; but it continues to beat just the same” – Fried Green Tomatoes
When a breakup occurs, by your partner’s hand, you feel not only broken but empty.  You heart hurts.  You feel as if will never heal or recover from the devastation.  The truth is that no matter what you feel, you heart has not stopped beating.  It is broken in theory but not in reality.  It continues to beat, you continue to live and life moves forward. 
12.   “Love is passion, obsession, someone you can't live without. If you don't start with that, what are you going to end up with? I say fall head over heels. Find someone you love like crazy and who'll love you the same way back. And how do you find him? Forget your head and listen to your heart." – Meet Joe Black
No comment needed – words to truly live by
13.   “There is a place you can touch a woman that will drive her crazy. Her heart.” – Milk Money
I have always loved this quote.  I wish that more guys would take note.  Think about all of the things that you think a woman wants in life to make her happy and throw them out the window.  To complete her, a woman wants nothing more than for you to touch her heart.  If you find a way in you will be there forever.  She will love you completely and whole heartedly. 
14.   “That's why they call them crushes. If they were easy, they'd call them something else.” - Sixteen Candles
Every time I watch this movie, this quote stands out as one of my favorite lines.  If only my father brought forth so much wisdom.  When we date, like or crush on someone it is often hard to hear that they don’t have the same feelings that we may harbor.  These are always words that ring in my ears because they make sense.  Life is not easy, so why would we think love is.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you get crushed, but you should never stop playing the game. 
15.   “All our young lives we search for someone to love, someone to make us complete. We choose partners and change partners. We dance to a song of heartbreak and hope, all the while wondering if somewhere, somehow, someone perfect is searching for us.” - The Wonder Years
This is the perfect quote to end with because it sums up my 30 years so far on this world.  I have been searching from someone to love; I have changed partners multiple times all the while hoping to find someone perfect out there that is searching for me.  Although I am starting to lose my patience, so he better hurry the hell up and find me soonJ  

No comments:

Post a Comment